Increase Your Eligibility for Dental Implants with Bone Grafting
Dental implants are one of the most successful options for teeth replacement today. Versatile in their use, they can support a variety of restorations for optimal health, function, and aesthetics. Unfortunately, many patients who have lost teeth have also lost enough jawbone tissue that they cannot support implants. However, you may be able to boost your candidacy with a bone grafting procedure. Dr. Bill Stofer performs this surgery at his Warsaw, IN, dental practice to increase eligibility for dental implants and improve your overall oral health.
Benefits of Dental Bone Grafting
Bone grafting offers qualifying patients a number of advantages. For example, this procedure can:
- Create a solid foundation for dental implants: If a tooth has been missing for some time, a bone graft can successfully increase jawbone volume and density in the wake of jawbone deterioration to create a stable foundation for implants.
- Prevent bone atrophy: In some cases, a bone graft can be performed immediately after a tooth is extracted. This can preserve the jawbone and prevent the collapse of the bony walls around the socket, laying the groundwork for immediate or future implant placement.
- Deliver impressive results: Research through Oral Implantol has suggested that implants placed into grafted bone boast the same success rates as those placed in natural bone.
Qualifying for the Procedure
In order to lay the groundwork for success, bone grafting candidates should be free of oral health problems like extensive tooth decay or periodontal disease. Additionally, individuals considering this procedure should be in good general health. Medical conditions like diabetes or autoimmune disorders can potentially delay healing and undermine your chances of success.
It is important that patients undergoing bone grafting have a full understanding of the procedure, as well as realistic expectations of results. You must be committed to taking care of your new teeth with attentive at-home care and regular dental examinations.
The Day of the Procedure
At our practice, bone grafting surgery usually takes about one hour to complete. Treatment is broken down into several distinct steps:
- Anesthesia: Before beginning the procedure, local anesthesia is administered to numb the affected areas. Dr. Stofer also offers nitrous oxide, oral conscious sedation, and IV sedation to help patients relax and stay comfortable during treatment.
- Incision: Once the anesthesia has taken effect, a small incision is created in the gums. This allows Dr. Stofer to access the underlying jawbone.
- Placement of graft: The bone grafting material is then placed to add height, width, and volume to the bone ridge supporting your teeth. In some instances, Dr. Stofer may place a membrane over the bone graft to guide tissue growth.
- Stitches: Finally, the gum tissue is repositioned and the incisions are closed with surgical sutures.
In most cases, you will need several months to heal fully. Once Dr. Stofer is satisfied with your progress, dental implant surgery can be scheduled.
Schedule an Appointment with Dental Solutions
Our practice has been providing top-tier dental care to our community since 2000. We also accept CareCredit® financing to help patients afford out-of-pocket costs. To learn more about bone grafting or to schedule an appointment at our practice, contact us online or call us at (574) 269-1199.