Implant-supported Dentures Candidates
For many denture wearers, daily activities like eating and talking can be a constant battle. Despite denture glues, dentures may slip, slide, and fall out. Fortunately, implant-supported dentures offer relief from the struggle to keep dentures in place. Read on to learn how Warsaw cosmetic dentistry patients are benefitting from implant-supported dentures.
What Are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures refer to a treatment in which dental implants are used as a means to securely fasten the dentures within the mouth. Dental implants are surgically placed within the jaw bone, using three to five dental implants per jaw. Once the gums and jaw have healed around the implants, forming a permanent bond, a special set of dentures will be fitted. The implant-supported dentures have either a metal bar or metal studs that attach to the dental implants.
Candidates for Implant-Supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures are not suitable for everyone. Because implant-supported dentures require surgery, there are potential risks. Candidates must be healthy enough to tolerate surgery. Besides being generally healthy, candidates must also have good oral health. In order to help ensure the success of dental implant treatment, candidates must also have enough bone tissue. This becomes a bigger issue the longer the patients has suffered from tooth loss, as the jaw bone disintegrates when teeth are lost. X-rays will be taken prior to treatment to determine the state of the jaw. If there is not enough jaw bone, bone grafts may be performed to rebuild the jaw using synthetics or bone from another part of the body. Patients may be candidates for implant-supported dentures if they are:
- Current denture wearers
- New denture wearers
- Missing multiple teeth
- Unhappy with removable dentures
- Have sufficient jaw bone to support dental implants
- In good general health
Why Choose Implant-Supported Dentures?
There are many benefits to implant-supported dentures. Here are just a few reasons patients should consider choosing implant-supported dentures.
- Improved Comfort: Many implant-supported denture wearers experience increased comfort. Implant-supported dentures stay in place, preventing the pain and irritation often associated with removable dentures.
- Improved Confidence: Implant-supported dentures will give patients the confidence of knowing the teeth are securely in place. Patients won't have to worry about slipping or sliding dentures when they eat and speak.
- Looks and Feels Natural: Implant-supported dentures look and feel natural. They won't move around when patients eat and talk so no one, including the patient, will notice the dentures.
- Better hygiene: Implant-supported dentures help to maintain better oral hygiene. They fit securely, which helps prevent food particles and bacteria from getting caught beneath the dentures.
Who Is a Candidate? Schedule a Consultation Today!
For patients in Warsaw, dental implants are a popular treatment. Dental implants can be paired with different types of restorations besides dentures to improve tooth function and appearance. Teeth can be replaced with porcelain crown restorations or implant-supported bridges. Dr. William Stofer welcomes prospective patients to schedule a consultation to see if they’re candidates for dental implant treatment.