Restore Your Smile with Treatments for Chipped Teeth
If left untreated, a minor chip can lead to major dental problems. Seeking treatment for chipped teeth as early as possible is key to protecting oral health. Restorative dentistry treatments can restore the appearance of chipped teeth while preventing further dental damage. To learn more about treatment for chipped teeth, schedule a consultation at our Warsaw, IN practice, Dental Solutions.
Repairing Chipped Teeth
Unfortunately, the teeth are not indestructible. A sporting injury, accident, or simply biting down on a hard corn chip can lead to a chipped tooth. Luckily, there are many cosmetically appealing treatment options for repairing chipped teeth. In some cases, the dentist can simply file down the affected tooth so the chip is no longer visible. In other cases, patients may need:
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers can address minor chips in the front facing teeth. Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-shaped fabrications that are bonded to the surface of a damaged tooth to hide flaws and restore dental appearance.
- Dental bonding: Dental bonding can also repair chipped front teeth. With dental bonding treatment, a tooth-colored resin is applied directly to the damaged tooth and shaped to the desired size and appearance. The resin is then hardened and polished, restoring the tooth.
- Onlays: Onlays are custom-crafted, tooth-colored restorations used to repair moderate to severe dental damage. Also called “partial crowns,” onlays are beneficial for repairing back teeth that aren't so damaged as to require a full dental crown.
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns can be used to treat severe chips affecting the front or back teeth. Dental crowns are custom-made restorations that fit completely over a damaged tooth, making them a great option for those with major dental damage.
Preventing Chipped Teeth
In many cases, a chipped tooth happens unexpectedly and without warning, like during a bicycle accident or sporting injury. However, there are steps you can take to prevent chipped teeth. Follow these tips to help protect your teeth:
- Wear a mouth guard during sporting activities: People who play contact sports, like hockey or football, should wear mouth guards during play to reduce the risk of chipped teeth. People who skateboard, rollerblade, or bicycle may also consider wearing mouth guards to avoid damaging their teeth in the event of an accident.
- Avoid biting or chewing on hard items: Chewing or biting hard items, like pen caps, fingernails, ice, or even hard candies can lead to chipped teeth. Avoid biting or chewing on such items to protect the teeth from chipping.
- Avoid using your teeth to open packages: Some people have a habit of using their teeth as tools to open plastic packages, cut tape, or open glue caps, all of which can cause a chipped tooth. Avoid using your teeth as tools to prevent unwanted chipping.
Schedule a Consultation
Chipped teeth can make you feel self conscious about your appearance and lead to major dental damage if left untreated. Don't let chipped teeth go untreated. To discuss your treatment options, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with our team at Dental Solutions.